Iga Swiatek says she just wants to see idol Rafael Nadal "healthy and happy." Nadal, a 22-time Grand Slam champion, is missing this year's French Open and he is also planning to retire from tennis in 2024. Last year, Swiatek won the French Open women's singles event while Nadal captured a record 14th French Open title.

"I always cheered for him. This time he's not going to be here, so it's going to be a little bit harder for me to find my favorite. Hopefully, he's gonna play next season or next tournaments and he's gonna feel better. That's the most important thing for me.

Because I don't want to focus on statistics or what he could achieve by playing here. For me the most important thing is if he's just healthy and happy," Swiatek said, via rolandgarros.com.

Swiatek wishes Nadal good health as she returns to being healthy again
Just 10 days before the start of the French Open, Swiatek sustained a thigh injury during her Rome quarterfinal match against Elena Rybakina.


Swiatek received an off-court medical timeout and retired the match a few games later. During her pre-tournament press conference in Paris, Swiatek confirmed that she is ready to compete at Roland Garros. “I feel really happy that I can compete and I will be healthy for my first round.


Luckily nothing serious happened, so I had a couple of days off. I'm still recovering from the thigh injury, but I'll be good for my first round. That's the most important thing for me," Swiatek said. Swiatek, who has been ranked at No 1 since 2022 April, could lose the top spot to Aryna Sabalenka at the French Open.

"I didn't even know about that. It's nice to have somebody constantly, kind of watching you. We played so many matches against each other that tactically we know (each other’s) game pretty well," Swiatek said