The great performance and a more approachable opponent than the previous ones allows Novak Djokovic to pass the round of 16 at the Roland Garros 2023. Against the Peruvian Varillas, Nole wins in three sets, with the result of 6-3, 6-2, 6-2.


A dominant performance, with only a few empty passes, dictated by lapses in concentration and by the wind, his enemy in this first week of the French Open. This does not stop him from a record: 17 times in the Roland Garros quarterfinals, none like him.


"I'm proud of this achievement, but my attention is already on the next match," said the world number three, who will face Russian Karen Khachanov in the next match, who defeated Lorenzo Sonego in four sets. The Serb also said in the press conference: "I'm trying to stay the course mentally and obviously not looking too far ahead.


Obviously, today's performance gives me great confidence, in how I feel and how I play. So I'm looking forward to come next game."


Nole and the relationship with the crowd

Even in this round of 16, the tennis player from Belgrade did not miss a few boos, but the support for him was stronger.


When asked about the public he defined as disrespectful, Novak Djokovic immediately wanted to clarify: "I didn't say that. Please I said most crowd is ok. Tennis lovers come, who are respectful and support one of the two players, but there are some individuals who create some problems.


But I didn't say crowds are disrespectful. It is not true. Today (Yesterday - ed.)? I thought they were great, especially at the end. I mean, they gave me a very nice gift by singing and supporting me, and as a player I always want to get that love from the crowd.


So of course I felt great. I thanked them in the interview." Djokovic, for the 17th time in his career, the world number three has reached the quarterfinals. No one like him, since he surpassed the record held by Rafael Nadal.


The difference between the two, therefore, becomes evident: the Spanish tennis player reaches success when he passes the quarter-finals, failing only twice in this path. The same statistic actually concerns the twenty-two times Spanish Grand Slam champion.


In Melbourne, at the Australian Open, where he triumphed ten times in his career, holding the record, it is actually Rafa Nadal who has beaten the Serbian for now. In fact, he reached the quarterfinals in more numbers than Novak Djokovic, 14.